In this GMAX GM54S modular helmet review, we will find out why this motorcycle helmet seems to stand out in terms of customer satisfaction, features, safety, and price.
Modular motorcycle helmets are a dime a dozen, but the GMAX GM54S is one of our favourites because it comes with the perfect blend of style and substance.
There is no question why modular motorcycle helmets are popular. They offer the protection of a full face helmet while giving you the versatility to convert into an open face helmet. Think of it as two products in one, all rolled into a cool-looking package.
GMAX GM54S Modular Helmet Review
GMAX Helmet LLC started making helmets more than 15 years ago. The company was founded by a group of motorcycle enthusiasts with the vision of developing high-quality helmets at an affordable price.
You may have heard that when buying a motorcycle helmet, you basically get what you pay for. If you want it cheap, then you basically get a cheap-ass helmet. Well, not anymore.
Don’t be surprised if you see a lot of riders wearing GMAX helmets. The product stands out because it comes with a boatload of features for under $200. That’s impressive.
If you are searching for an affordable, stylish, and safe modular motorcycle helmet, then the GMAX GM54S might be the perfect one for you.
Product Features of the GMAX GM54S
What makes the GMAX GM54S different from other modular helmets is the design of the flip jaw mechanism. It allows the jaw to lift up further back in the crown of the helmet.
This means that the GMAX GM54S will increase your line-of-sight when the jaw is raised, and this will also lessen user fatigue since the weight distribution is more evenly distributed in the helmet.
Other modular helmets tend to be face heavy when the jaw is raised. Not exactly a deal breaker here, but this is an intelligent feature that deserves much applause.
- Removable and washable DUPont Coolmax interior lining keeps your head dry and comfortable even in hot weather.
- GMAX D.E.V.S. or Dual-Exhaust Venting System provides top, rear, and side vents to reduce fogging and sweating in both hot and cold climates.
- Multi-function red LED rear light for added visibility and safety.
- Easy to use chin bar can be operated with one hand, even when wearing gloves.
- Improved range of vision with the large eye ports.
- Easy drop-down and UV resistant sun shade treated with anti-fog coating.
- Built-in speaker pockets
- DOT approved for safety
Want more bang for your buck? The GMAX GM54S offers solid features at a friendly price.
Best Features of the GMAX GM54S
1. Design – The flip-jaw mechanism lifts further upward in the crown of the helmet, and this gives you a better view of the road when the jaw is lifted up. Modular helmets are usually cumbersome when the chin is raised, but the GMAX GM54S distributes the weight of the helmet evenly even the jaw is raised.
2. Rear LED light – The multifunction LED light may sound like a novelty item, but it is actually a good selling point for this product. You basically get a third-brake light for your bike, which definitely adds a margin of safety to the product. You can set the LED light to blink, steady, and fast-blink mode. As an added bonus, you can purchase an optional wireless brake light kit that works in conjunction with your motorcycle’s factory brake light.
3. Hygienic – The removable and washable DuPont Coolmax interior lining is a welcome feature to have since it allows you to maintain a hygienic interior for your head. Who wants to wear a stinky helmet anyway?
4. Safety – Modular helmets are not just about style and versatility. Safety should be your top priority when shopping for a helmet. The GMAX GM54S meets and exceeds DOT requirements for safety, so you can ride with confidence.
5. Ventilation – A properly vented helmet is a comfortable helmet. The dual exhaust venting feature of the GMAX GM54S allows hot air from the mouth area to escape at the top, side and rear of the helmet. Despite this feature, fogging was still present when we tested this helmet during a cold morning ride, but it wasn’t as bad as we expected.
“I had an accident while wearing this helmet. I suffered a fractured wrist and a broken shoulder bone. But my head was well protected, although the helmet had tons of scratches and the visor was cracked.”
“This is a very good helmet although it’s a bit heavy.”
“Great helmet, but the clear shield scratched easily.”
“Make sure to check your GMAX helmet every now and then, especially the modular ones. The screws that hold the jaw in place can fall off without warning.”
“This helmet is a bit noisy and uncomfortable, but it does offer good value.”
The HJC CL-Max 2 Solid competes directly with the GMAX GM54S modular helmet in terms of features and price. The HJC CL-Max 2 Solid has an injection-molded and lightweight polycarbonate shell that also meets and exceeds DOT requirements for safety.
The HJC CL-Max 2 Solid is Bluetooth ready and comes with interior speaker cavities for true hands-free operation. It also comes with a moisture-repellent interior that you can wash and remove repeatedly.
In terms of price, both helmets are in the same price bracket. But we still think the GMAX GM54S is better because of the advanced modular flip-jaw design. Other than that, both helmets offer good value for the price.
In this GMAX GM54S review, we quickly discovered why this modular helmet is one of the more popular choices in the market. You can buy a more expensive modular helmet with more features and more style. But if you are tired of your full-face helmet and you don’t want to spend huge money on a modular helmet, then the GMAX GM54S should be on top of your list.GMAX GM54S
Last update on 2017-04-27 PST - Details